Malachi 3:10-11 (NKJV) Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this,” Says the LORD of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, so that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,” says the LORD of hosts.
Though God promises that He will open the window of heaven to bless us, our hearts need to be in the right place when we tithe—that it is out of a heart of worship and thanksgiving, and not a “get rich quick” attempt. Giving God His tenth through tithing is essentially saying, “God, I recognise you as my source of supply and I can do more with the 90% than I could with the 100% according to my own plans.”
Disobedience in tithing is largely due to the fear of lacking money. Many people are afraid to tithe for fear of not having enough. Because they don’t view God as their source, they are unwilling to part with that amount, thinking “If I give that away, I’m going to have X amount less, then how can I meet my needs?” This shows their lack of trust in God and their trust in uncertain riches. Nonetheless, tithing is challenging especially when you are trying to make ends meet, and you think “If I tithe, there’s even less”, but this is when you need to practise tithing in faith by making God your true source.
Today, the storehouse is the church where the Word of God is administered. The tithe goes to the church where you receive the Word, pastoral care, and the work of the ministry. The church will administer the funds, and the leaders are entrusted with the responsibility to budget and disburse the funds accordingly. Therefore, when we give, we are giving unto the Lord in obedience to the Word, and we will leave it to the leaders who are accountable to God. Meanwhile, we are allowed to voice out any valid concerns at the congregational meetings. We also need to be clear that whatever we give to support other ministries, such as to help missionaries, will be out of our freewill offering and not our tithes because the tithe belongs to the storehouse.
By honouring God with the first 10%, He looks after the other 90% and He rebukes the devourer for you. The devil stands rebuked over the finances of a tither. Therefore, if you are not tithing, you are operating your finances in the world system, over which the god of this world has control. However, by tithing, we close the door to the devourer and his control.
When we practise tithing, it helps us to worship and honour God, and make God the source of our provision. This foundation will be unshakable even during periods of uncertainty.
Sermon Series: Christian Worldview on Success
Image Source: pixabay.com